It feels like, even with all the game delays, October is finally kicking things into gear. It’s been a busy week with the Battlefield 2042 open beta, the release of Metroid Dread and Far Cry 6, the PS Plus drop with Hell Let Loose, the new Nintendo Switch OLED, and early access for Back 4 Blood all dropping at once. Oh, and Twitch got completely and utterly hacked.
So, without much further ado, let’s dive into our gaming round-up.
In the News This Week
- Twitch has been hacked: Code for the entire platform and payment details have been published
- Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition officially announced
- Bungie to vault Destiny 2’s Forsaken campaign and the Tangled Shore next year
- The PS3 and PS Vita stores will stop accepting PayPal and credit/debit cards this month
- The Animal Crossing November Update stream will take place next week
- Sora is the final Super Smash Bros. Ultimate character
- Final Ghost of Tsushima Legends free DLC released
- China to ban games with “effeminate men” and same sex relationships
- Report: Kojima Productions is working on the Silent Hill reboot for Sony
- Microsoft: Console shortages to last well in to next year
- Rockstar Games removes PlayStation exclusive Agent from website
Games in Review
It’s been another big week in the review hot seat, though you’ll only see some of the fruits of our labours next week.
- Metroid Dread – NSW – 9/10
- Tails of Iron – PS4, XBO, NSW, PC – 9/10
- Lemnis Gate – PS5, XSX|S, PS4, XBO, PC – 7/10
- Hell Let Loose – PS5, XSX|S, PC – 7/10
- A Juggler’s Tale – PS5, XSX|S, PS4, XBO, PC – 7/10
- Far Cry 6 – PS5, XSX|S, PS4, XBO, PC – Review in Progress
And we had the all important review of the Nintendo Switch OLED model to consider. Is it worth upgrading to?
It’s been a healthy week for previews and other features as well. We’ll start things off with my early hands on time with the Battlefield 2042 Open Beta. Want to see it in action? Here’s a video. Want to play it? Well, the open beta is live and you don’t have much time left!
Not only that, but I went hands on with Jurassic World Evolution 2 and its Chaos Theory mode, one of the missions taking you back to Jurassic Park: San Diego to right what when pretty wrong during the second film in the franchise.
I was also privy to a hands off look at Oxenfree II: Lost Signals, an expansive sequel to the indie hit that’s adding even more character interactions, more freedom and new time-warping supernatural craziness.
Francis’ look at what Metroid games you should play before Metroid Dread (if you don’t just want to dive straight into the action). Jason’s then compiled a list of games a bit like Diablo, if you’re looking for a dungeon crawling fix.
Rounding things out as always, What We Played featured Far Cry 6, Metroid Dread, Battlefield 2042 and more.
The Resident Evil: Welcome To Racoon City movie trailer is here
Brembo brakes partnership revealed in new GT7 trailer
Here’s what you in our community has been up to this week:
- ron_mcphatty has been playing Control, and he’s “surprised and pleased to say I absolutely adore it!” A pretty good game to get with PS Plus a little while ago, eh?
- MrYd is getting frustrated waiting for the specific scenario to occur so he can get the final Watch Dogs: Legion trophy, so he’s been playing more Scarlet Nexus, checking out the PS Plus games (though he doesn’t like Hell Let Loose), Desperados 3 from PS Now, Grid from EA Play, and dabbled with Fuser.
- willbuchanan has finished off the main story of Monster Hunter World and moved on to its Iceborne expansion. He’s also enjoying a little bit of Need for Speed Heat, his first NfS game.
- hornet1990 is finding himself more and more aligned with the Empire in Star Wars Squadrons – “is it wrong that I seem to do better when playing as the Empire?!” – and has been having fun grappling with the rubbish download list on the PS3.
That’s it for this week’s gaming round-up. Have a fun weekend, and we’ll catch you again soon.